Christopher P. Monterola, Ph.D.
Professional / Research Career
- Senior Scientist and Capability Group Manager of the Complex Systems (CxSy) Capability Group, Computing Science Department, Institute of High Performance Computing, A*STAR, Singapore (Aug 2013-present)
- Principal Investigator/Scientific Director, Complex Systems Programme, A*STAR Urban Systems Initiative (2012-present)
- Associate Professor 7, National Institute of Physics, UP Diliman (2005-2012)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems, Dresden (2003-2005)
In 2009, the SEA-EU-NET organized a mapping study of excellent researchers from the ASEAN member countries with the objective of raising "awareness for the existence of high-quality research" and presenting "a pool of excellent researchers in Southeast Asia." It featured Chris as one of the very few excellent researchers in the region.
Chris is a Senior Scientist at the Institute of High Performance Computing in A*STAR Singapore. He is currently the Capability Group Manager (CGM) of the Complex Systems (CxSy) Capability Group at the IHPC. Chris is also the Principal Investigator and Scientific Director of the Complexity Science Programme (CSP) of the IHPC under the CxSy. The CSP is one of the programs under a bigger umbrella that is the A*STAR Urban Systems Initiative. Prior to his stint in Singapore, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Physics of Complex Systems. He obtained a Ph.D. in Physics in 2002 from the National Institute of Physics, University of the Philippines Diliman (UPD) where he was an Associate Professor 7. He was also the Coordinator of the Instrumentation Physics Laboratory (IPL), which is currently the leading physics research group in the Philippines.
His research expertise involve: Modeling Complex Systems, Computational Physics, Complex Networks, Neural Networks, Biological Physics, and Forecasting. Chris' group's research in UP focuses on the following fields: Landslide and Granular Dynamics, Social networks, Physics Education, Biological Networks, Public Opinion Research, Neural Networks, and Econophysics. The image below qualitatively shows the frequency distribution of the top 100 words used across all the abstracts of his publications in ISI-indexed journals. The word cloud was generated using Wordle.
- 2014 ICCS Best Workshop Paper. N Othman, EF Legara, V Selvam, C Monterola, "Simulating Congestion Dynamics of Train Rapid Transit using Smart Card Data," International Conference on Computational Science, Cairns, Australia, 9-12 June 2014.
- 2013 IEEE SCALE Challenge. First Prize Winner. H Kasim, T Hung, EF Legara, C Monterola, G Lee, X Li, BS Lee, S Lu, L Wang, and V Jayaraman, "Scalable Complex System Modeling for Sustainable City," Sixth IEEE International Scalable Computing Challenge (SCALE 2013), Delft, Netherlands, 14-16 May 2013.
- National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) Outstanding Young Scientists (2011)
- NAST Talent Search for Young Scientist awardee (2011)
- Conferred the scientist rank 1 by the University of the Philippines System (2009-present)
- University of the Philippines Centennial Professorial Chair (2008-2012)
- National Research Council of the Philippines (NCRP) lifetime achievement award for Physics (2008)
- Most Outstanding PhD student / Dean`s Medallion / Batch Valedictorian (2002)
- Edgardo Gomez Award for Excellence in Dissertation Research (2002)
- Gawad Chanselor : Most Outstanding Graduate Student (Science & Technology Cluster) (2002)
- Gawad Chanselor: Best Published Research (2002)
- Most Outstanding Masteral Graduate student –Dean`s Medallion, Batch Valedictorian (1999)
- How to reach disaster zone faster, A*STAR Television (July 2015). [link]
- The right route to disaster relief, A*STAR Research (17 December 2014). [link]
- A*STAR researchers develop predictive model for mass-transit train overloading, Green Car Congress (November 24, 2014). [link]
- An agent-based model that analyzes commuters’ travel data will improve the Singapore rail experience, Asia Research News. [link]
- Helping trains take the strain, Science Daily Featured Research, (November 21, 2014). [link]
- Computer model that can replicate the growth of cities has valuable implications for urban planning and sustainability (July 16, 2014). [link]
- Network Science To Aid Disaster Relief Operations, Alan Aw, Asian Scientist, (April 29, 2014). [link]
- Mapping a tool to guide rescuers in disaster zones, David Ee, The Straits Times, (April 30, 2014). [link]
- Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility, Science Daily Featured Research, (April 16, 2014). [link]
- Urban planning: City dynamics yield to computer modeling, Science Daily Featured Research, (September 11, 2013). [link]
- New computer model of city dynamics could pave way to planning sustainable urban areas, Phys.org, (September 11, 2013). [link]
Most Recent Publications
- MA Ramli and C Monterola, "Probing and shaping the information transfer of noise-perturbed complex networks," Journal of Computational Science. Accepted: 12 August 2014
- C Abundo, C Monterola, EF Legara, "Criticality of forcing directions on the fragmentation and resilience of grid networks," Nature Scientific Reports, (in press, 2014).
- JF Valenzuela, C Monterola, EF Legara, X Fu, and SM Goh, "On Centripetal Flows of Entities in Scale--Free Networks with Nodes of Finite Capability," Complexity (in press, 2014).
- A Paguirigan Jr, C Monterola, and R Batac, "Loss of criticality in the avalanche statistics of sandpiles with dissipative sites," Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation (in press, 2014).
- C David, EF Legara, JM Atun, C Monterola, "News Frames of the Population Issue in the Philippines," International Journal of Communication 8, pp. 1247-1267 (2014).
- NB Othman, EF Legara, V Selvam, and C Monterola, "Simulating Congestion Dynamics of Train Rapid Transit using Smart Card Data," Procedia Computer Science 29, pp. 1610–1620 2014.
- MA Ramli, C Monterola, KK Lee, and GG Hung, "A method to ascertain rapid transit systems' throughput distribution using network analysis," Procedia Computer Science 29, pp. 1621–1630, 2014.
- JF Valenzuela, EF Legara, X Fu, RSM Goh, R de Souza, and C Monterola, "A network perspective on the calamity–induced inaccessibility of communities and the robustness of centralized, landbound relief efforts," International Journal of Modern Physics C 25, 1450047 (2014).
- EF Legara, C Monterola, KK Lee, GG Hung, "Critical capacity, travel time delays and travel time distribution of rapid mass transit systems," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, accepted: 21 February 2014.
- J. Decraene, C. Monterola, K.K. Lee, G.G. Hung, M. Batty, "The Emergence of Urban Land Use Patterns Driven by Dispersion and Aggregation Mechanisms," PLoS ONE 8(12): e80309 (2013). DOI No. 10.1371/journal.pone.0080309
[View complete list here.]